Find a Complete Health Dentist Hollywood, FL
Having optimal oral health can be beneficial not just for the mouth and teeth but also for the body. Taking good care of the mouth, teeth, and gums is essential to maintaining general health. A complete health dentist is a provider who works with patients to improve overall wellness, starting with dental treatments.
Complete health dental services are available at Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry in Hollywood and the surrounding area. Our providers focus on systematic dental care to improve patient outcomes and overall wellness. The oral health connection to a healthy body requires regular dental checkups and healthy routines that keep teeth and gums free from inflammation and infection.
Our providers have a comprehensive approach to dental health care. We can provide strategies to help you attain a healthier mouth, even if you suffer from chronic conditions. Call us at (954) 368-9038 to get more information about how we can work with you to develop a complete health dental treatment plan.
Oral Health Shows In Your Overall Wellness
Many patients see their dentist at least twice a year, sometimes more, for regular treatments. During a standard dental checkup, the dentist may be the first health provider to find signs of disease or other indicators of a patient's overall wellness. According to WebMD, dental exams may give a provider the first clues of chronic disease.
When examining the gums, if the dentist notices inflammation, swelling, and bleeding, this may be a sign of diabetes, heart disease, or another chronic condition. Unusual spots in the mouth may be an indicator of oral cancer or HIV, even before other noticeable symptoms start. A dentist may also be able to see signs of stress if the teeth are worn down or chipped. Some practitioners use salivary testing to measure bacteria levels or potential periodontal disease.
“During a standard dental checkup, the dentist may be the first health provider to find signs of disease or other indicators of a patient’s overall wellness.”
Conditions a Complete Health Dentist Treats
A review from the Institute of Medicine suggests there is evidence linking superior oral health to overall wellness. A complete health dentist's primary focus is in promoting and treating dental conditions while also improving outcomes for other chronic diseases. These dental providers are also partners in a patient's comprehensive health plan. Dentists can complement the care patients get from their primary care physician and work to advance wellness.
Gum disease is one treatment option that can improve or enhance overall wellness. Patients who show signs of early gum disease may have complications ranging from inflammation to severe conditions, such as diabetes. Dental providers treat the causes of gum and periodontal disease by eliminating bacteria, reducing inflammation, and promoting healthy gum routines.
“Patients who show signs of early gum disease may have complications ranging from inflammation to serious conditions, such as diabetes.”
Building Healthy Habits With a Complete Oral Health Dentist
Seeing a complete health dentist allows patients to discuss how they can maintain a healthy body. The provider can encourage patients to stop smoking, eat a balanced diet, and brush and floss regularly to prevent chronic conditions. Additionally, Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry may talk to patients about staying at a healthy weight and adding exercise to their daily routine.
“Seeing a complete health dentist allows patients to discuss how they can maintain a healthy body.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Find a Complete Health Dentist in Hollywood, FL
Plaque, Bacteria, and Infection Treatment Options
The root cause of many dental and gum problems is bacteria. Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry and our office offers a variety of treatment options to keep the mouth free of plaque, bacteria, and infections. Here is how we typically treat these conditions in-house:
- Plaque: Effective treatment for dental plaque starts at home with regular brushing and flossing. Using a mouth rinse may reduce the amount of plaque left behind after eating. Our staff also removes plaque during a standard dental cleaning, which you should schedule every six months.
- Bacteria: Bacterial infections in the mouth or gums may lead to periodontal disease and an increased risk of other severe conditions. Our providers can help treat bacteria before it becomes a severe problem. We may use antimicrobial treatments, antiseptic mouthwashes, or other options to reduce bacteria.
- Infection: Dental infections may lead to problems such as an abscess, cavity, or gum disease. The first line of defense against infection is prevention with routine checkups and a solid oral hygiene routine. For active infections, dental providers use various treatment options such as antibiotics, cavity fillings, or gum tissue treatments.
“The first line of defense against infection is prevention with routine checkups and a solid oral hygiene routine.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Preventing health problems starts with awareness and patients being proactive about their health care. At the dentist, patients should focus on having direct, open discussions with their provider and asking for tips about their dental care routine at home. The ideal course of preventative care involves patients engaging in a healthy lifestyle that includes daily activity, a wholesome diet, and brushing and flossing after meals.
Patients should also avoid or limit their consumption of sugary or acidic foods and drink, caffeine and alcohol intake, and smoking tobacco products. Replacing a few of your daily drinks with water can dramatically enhance your oral health as well as the whole body system.
Q. How can oral health exams diagnose cancer?
A. The Oral Cancer Foundation explains that mass oral cancer screening and early diagnosis is key for better outcomes. Sometimes the signs of oral cancer may be spotted during a scheduled dental visit, or the dentist may conduct a screening. During a screening, the dentist examines the mouth for symptoms such as mouth sores, white patches, or lumps.
Q. What are the benefits of seeing a complete health dentist?
A. More research is showing a probable connection to dental health and the entire body's wellness. Seeing a complete health dentist gives patients more opportunities to thrive physically. By starting with a healthy mouth, patients may be able to focus on preventing chronic illnesses and maintaining healthy habits.
Q. What is the oral health connection to diabetes and heart disease?
A. Gum disease is often a sign of inflammation, which can be associated with conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Bacteria from diseased gums may be able to travel to the body through the blood vessels. Gum disease also makes it more difficult for people with diabetes to control their blood sugar.
Q. How does a complete health dentist treat the whole body?
A. Complete health dentists look at the whole body holistically. One way is by using a systematic approach to inflammation. Reducing gum inflammation may offer whole-body benefits. Additionally, treating oral infections may provide relief to the patient's entire system and stop their spread.
Q. How does oral health relate to pregnancy outcomes?
A. Patients with poor oral health may be more at risk of pregnancy complications as bacteria build-up and infections often start in the mouth and work their way to the womb. Using effective dental health strategies and preventative care may help lower these risks. Pregnant patients should talk to their providers for more information.
- Chronic Periodontitis
- Chronic periodontitis is the most common form of periodontitis, involving inflammation of the tissue surrounding the teeth and pockets forming as well.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Diabetes refers to a group of diseases that affects how the body produces or responds to the hormone insulin and causes high blood sugar.
- Holistic Dentistry
- Holistic dentistry is a form of alternative dentistry that takes a more comprehensive approach to patients’ overall health.
Call Us Today
If you want to learn more about our complete approach to dental care and overall wellness, call us at 954-368-9038. In Hollywood, we offer complete health dental services. You may just gain a brighter smile and a healthier body.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Clinical Terms. 2023
About our business, license, and website security
- Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry was established in 2010.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Broward County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Hollywood, Hallandale Beach, Davie, Pembroke Pines, and Cooper City
- FL (License #DN18470). View License Information and Specifics
- National Provider Identifier Database (1457453607). View NPI Registry Information
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Find a Complete Health Dentist
Although a dental cleaning appointment sounds specific to having the teeth cleaned, there are other services included in these appointments, all of which help ensure good oral health. Good oral health is essential because it encourages the rest of the body to also be in good health. To understand the entire scope of dental cleaning…
There is a lot to think about when it comes to dental implants. This tooth-replacement treatment is an effective way to revitalize your smile and restore the ability to chew. The process can take several months, and the recovery can be lengthy. As you learn more about this procedure, you can make the right decision…
Cosmetic dentistry is a form of treatment that aims to improve the appearance of your smile by addressing imperfections with the teeth, gums, and jaw. Many procedures also offer oral health and functional benefits as well. This article discusses the ways in which cosmetic dentistry can help you achieve a more attractive smile.There is a…
Explore additional topics covered on our website:
Call Us Today
Scan here to call Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry on mobile