What Does a Dental Hygienist Do Hollywood, FL
Dental hygienists are dental providers who professionally clean teeth and counsel patients about oral hygiene. We can help patients maintain a healthy smile and treat various health issues. During a routine visit, a patient may see a dentist, a dental assistant, and a dental hygienist.
Dental hygienist treatment services are available at Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry in Hollywood and the surrounding area. Our team of dedicated providers works together to give patients a better bill of dental health. With a comprehensive approach to dental health, patients benefit from our thorough treatment plans, which start with routine cleanings and examinations by the dental hygienist.
Ideal dental health means there should be a partnership between the patient and the care team. Our team of dental staff is committed to patient education and proper oral care. Call us at (954) 368-9038 to schedule your next cleaning with a dental hygienist.
Dental Hygienist Training and Certification Process Details
In order to become a dental hygienist, a candidate must first complete a college program in dental hygiene. Students in the program may earn an associate degree at a community college, a bachelor's degree at a four-year university, or a graduate degree. Admissions to programs in dental hygiene usually require a background of high school courses in science.
After completing the academic college-level courses, dental hygienist candidates must then complete a supervised clinical experience with patients. Once the program is finished, dental hygienists must earn their state license in the practice. According to the American Dental Association, some states also require candidates to earn a passing score on the National Board Dental Hygiene Exam.
“After completing the academic college-level courses, dental hygienist candidates must then complete a supervised clinical experience with patients.”
How Dental Hygienists Help With Patient Screening
During routine exams and cleanings, dental hygienists may also assist the dentist with patient screenings for some conditions. They may assess the patient's oral health and use the periodontal chart to evaluate the patient's potential for gum disease. They may also inquire about any other health issues or chronic conditions for the patient.
Some dental hygienists may also perform cancer screenings during the examination, such as oral cancer. These dental professionals also examine the head, jaw, and neck to spot potential problems. Dental hygienists also may take X-rays of the teeth and mouth to determine if there are cavities or other oral issues.
“Some dental hygienists may also perform cancer screenings during the examination, such as oral cancer.”
Recommendations and Documentation
Another aspect of a dental hygienist's job is to counsel patients and provide advice for optimal oral health. They may educate patients about the importance of proper brushing and flossing and provide suggestions for oral hygiene techniques. Dental hygienists also may offer recommendations for different types of toothbrushes and flossing products.
Proper oral care at the dentist also requires documentation of treatment and the condition of the patient's mouth and teeth. The dental hygienist works with Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry to document the condition of the gums, teeth, and screening results. Effective record-keeping helps providers monitor possible problem areas.
“Effective record-keeping helps providers monitor possible problem areas.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: What Does a Dental Hygienist Do in Hollywood, FL
When a Dental Hygienist Treats Patients
Dental hygienists are usually involved in a patient's regular, routine cleaning appointment. It is vital to schedule periodic appointments according to the dentist's recommendations. During a standard appointment, the patient may start treatment with the dental hygienist. Here are the parts of the visit where a dental hygienist may be involved:
- Health History: Before starting any examination or cleaning, the dental hygienist may first review the patient’s health and history. The dental provider reviews the patient’s dental records and health information. Then, the provider may discuss the patient’s concerns before going to the next step of the appointment.
- Teeth Cleaning: Next, the dental hygienist cleans the teeth. They may use a professional polisher to remove build-up and stains on the enamel. They also use tools to remove tartar and plaque from the teeth and the gum line.
- Fluoride Treatment: Some dental hygienists may provide preventative services during a routine visit. Fluoride treatment helps keep the teeth healthy and strong. Dental sealant application to prevent tooth decay may also be part of a routine appointment.
“Before starting any examination or cleaning, the dental hygienist may first review the patient’s health and history.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Frequently Asked Questions About a Dental Hygienist
Q. How often should a patient get their teeth cleaned by a dental hygienist?
A. For most patients, it is recommended to get the teeth cleaned twice a year. Regular teeth cleanings at the dentist may help prevent cavities and plaque build-up. They can also help spot possible problems in the teeth and monitor them for the future.
Q. How does the dental hygienist remove the tartar on the teeth?
A. During a routine cleaning, the hygienist will spend time scraping off the tartar on the patient's teeth. The hygienists will use a tool called a scaler and a small dental mirror to guide their work. Patients may hear the sound of the scaler working against their teeth during this part of the cleaning.
Q. How does the tartar the dental hygienist removes form on the teeth?
A. Tartar starts off as build-up and plaque in between the spaces of the teeth and along the gums. At home, patients can remove the plaque and build-up by regularly flossing. Once it hardens, it turns into tartar, which can only be removed and cleaned off by a dental provider.
Q. What kind of X-rays does a dental hygienist perform?
A. If a patient needs dental X-rays, the hygienist may take them. Bite-wing X-rays are used when the dentist needs to get a closer look at certain parts of the mouth. Panoramic X-rays give dental providers a complete look at the entire set of teeth and jawbone structure.
Q. What does the dental hygienist recommend for patients after a cleaning?
A. Patients who received a fluoride treatment may need to wait about 30 minutes to eat or drink. It is also smart to avoid certain hard or crunchy foods right after a professional cleaning. Hygienists also make it a point to remind patients to keep brushing and flossing after their visit.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Health History
- A person’s health history is an account of any allergies or illnesses they may have or have had, along with any previous surgeries or other pertinent information.
Call Us To Schedule Your Next Appointment With a Dental Hygienist
If you want to improve your dental health, call us at 954-368-9038 for an appointment with a dental hygienist. Get started on a treatment plan that focuses on strong teeth and preventative strategies. Our team in Hollywood is ready to help you achieve optimal oral health.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Clinical Terms. 2023
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2023
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2023
About our business, license, and website security
- Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry was established in 2010.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Broward County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Hollywood, Hallandale Beach, Davie, Pembroke Pines, and Cooper City
- FL (License #DN18470). View License Information and Specifics
- National Provider Identifier Database (1457453607). View NPI Registry Information
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of What Does a Dental Hygienist Do
Although a dental cleaning appointment sounds specific to having the teeth cleaned, there are other services included in these appointments, all of which help ensure good oral health. Good oral health is essential because it encourages the rest of the body to also be in good health. To understand the entire scope of dental cleaning…
There is a lot to think about when it comes to dental implants. This tooth-replacement treatment is an effective way to revitalize your smile and restore the ability to chew. The process can take several months, and the recovery can be lengthy. As you learn more about this procedure, you can make the right decision…
Cosmetic dentistry is a form of treatment that aims to improve the appearance of your smile by addressing imperfections with the teeth, gums, and jaw. Many procedures also offer oral health and functional benefits as well. This article discusses the ways in which cosmetic dentistry can help you achieve a more attractive smile.There is a…
Explore additional topics covered on our website:
Call Us Today
Scan here to call Hollywood Smiles Family Dentistry on mobile